Feb 27, 2013

The Magic of "Gone With The Wind"

Young Miss Scarlett, surrounded by the boys. (Picture from the movie "Gone with the wind").


























  




        "Fiddle-dee-dee! War, war, war; this war talk's spoiling all the fun at every party this                  
             spring.  I get so bored I could scream. Besides... there isn't going to be any war." 
                                                                                                           - Scarlett, in "Gone with the wind".



                                                         - Have You ever seen "Gone with the wind"? 

 I know it may be a silly question. Most of us, at least who are adults, may have seen it. But,  I haven't, 
up til now. Or, I saw it once, in my early teens, and to be honest, I wasn't really interested at the time.  
So, last night I saw it again - for real this time. Four hours and fifty minutes of a fantastic, beautiful 
piece of art flew by. 
A real classic, and perhaps one of the most famous movies of all time - and it was made in 1939! 
Returning to "Tara" (All pictures are courtesy of Selznick International Pictures)


Oh my, did it move me! It certainly did. This movie, about a family's struggles thru the American Civil War, and their friends, acquaintances, and the ways they make it thru. It's amazing. Scarlett, played by the beautiful Vivien Leigh, starts as a selfish, and complicated young girl, who grows to be a strong, independent woman, thru the struggles of the war. Maybe a little too strong. And, with the Casanova, Rhett Butler (Clark Gable), it's all ready for a classic story about love, war, life and it's ups and downs when the red carpet is pulled aside. But, I'm not going to get into the story too much, and maybe you already know it well.

Scarlett (Vivien Leigh) and Rhett (Clark Gable).
The thing is, if you are like me, and up til now, have missed out on this fantastic motion picture of art, you need to see it, when the opportunity arrives. What a story! The colours. The pictures. It's truly beautiful. The American south. Georgia. The amazing buildings. The effects. It makes my head spin thinking this was all made in 1939. 

As I mentioned, it truly moved me. In strange ways, and not in ways movies today sometimes do. If I had been any softer at heart, I would tear up by it, only because it's so beautiful. Actually, when I think about it, I'm happy it took me such a long time to watch it for real. Because now, as I'm older, I can truly appreciate how wonderful this movie really is - no wonder it's called the most beautiful classic of all times.




























Miss Scarlett (Vivien Leigh)

























(All pictures courtesy of the respective production company of "Gone With The Wind")





































     
                                                           


                                                                                   
                                                                         "Tomorrow is another day".
                                                               And this movie will always be a part of it...

                                                     If you feel like watching a different movie, and don't know which one, 
                                       this is my suggestion. Or, if you seen it, maybe it's time to see it again?
                                       It's such a refreshing piece of art, in a time where almost everything is 
                                              digitalized - it's truly wonderful! And, such a beautiful story :) 

                        

                                        

                                                                                                         
                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment