Apr 10, 2013

Film Scans, Memories & Adventures

I have to say, I'm sure I have many late nights ahead. And I am thrilled about it! I bought myself a negative film scanner about a year ago, and never put it into use - until now :) I started my (hobby) photography at the age of 8! At that time, and years more, there was no such thing as digital slr's. I grew up, learning the craft and magic of doing photography with film. I still love using film, because, let's face it, with film, you make your art onto a negative - you don't have unlimited chances later, to edit it by using a computer. Or, you hadn't. Now, you can scan it of course, and then edit it. But not back then. Back then, it was more about your knowledge. Your skill's, expertise and talent. You had to vision your self what you wanted to catch in the frame, and then do your camera settings accordingly. After a little while, as the negatives became developed, you would rip the envelope open with the finished result as you were handed it over by the counter at your local photo store. Always excited to see, if what you wanted your photos to look like when you shot them, actually looked that way. I was lucky! The best photographer in my area when I grew up, was the owner of one of my local photo stores. He started teaching me how to do photography. I remember I was 12 years old when he gave me my first good advices. I couldn't have had a better teacher! That was 25 years ago.

When I was eighteen I started working as a freelance photojournalist for a local newspaper. I stayed at this paper for seven years before I moved on! I loved it. It was a pretty much relaxed working environment, with great colleagues. Also, they had a "Magazine" part, where they had more features, and stories that focused more on photojournalism then written stories alone. When I earlier today finally fired up my negative film scanner, I just grabbed a pocket with negatives from a pile, to test it - it turned out, that these scans where from one of my feature-stories that was published in this newspapers magazine I mentioned above. I think it was in 1995 - ha! I'm old ;) But, what a joy it was to see these images come to life again. In this feature, I joined a local wildlife tour guide on a glacier-hike! It was fantastic. I still remember it so well - the whole hike. Oh my, how glad I am I took care of these negatives. It was me, our tour guide, and three other people. We were a small team, because the glacier had in the previous past been calving a lot, and so, larger groups were deemed as unsafe. We felt actually the glacier calving underneath us while we were on it! The icy ground underneath our feet collapsed an inch. Making it shake. And rumble. Ha ha! We all froze, and then carried on. So exciting! So much fun. Such a beautiful place. The pictures you see in this post, are from this glacier-hike, some of them were published in the magazine. I love them! It's such a window back in time. From the first years of my photojournalist career. From the fantastic high mountain landscape in Norway. The glacier is one of Norway's largest ones, and one of the oldest. It's called the "Svellnos Glacier". This brings back so many happy memories! So happy, they are all worth sharing :)




What a lovely team of hiker's, don't you think? Ha ha! It's weird seeing how young I looked at this time. But of course, I was young(er) too. This was the first part of a two part hike. The other hike we did, was in caves. Very, very deep caves! I really hope I will soon find those negatives in my pile too, as I was lucky enough to find these ones. If I do, I sure will blog and share them. But this glacier-hike was fantastic by it self. A whole different world. How amazing our nature can be. We truly live in a world of amazing and, magical wonders :)


Til Next Time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment