May 24, 2013

A Slap In The Face By Nature

I don't really know why, but it seems, every time I talk about something I do NOT want to happen, it does. My last post here on my blog, was about the dangers spring time can give us and, I wrote about the extreme flooding we had two years ago. How rain, and a mud-slide  almost took away my landlords house, and how it flushed away my road, a garage and more. How it ravaged through our wally, and flooded areas downtown, and almost destroyed another town a few miles south of my place. I wrote then, I hope we wouldn't have to deal with this, this year. Neither my town, or that other town, or anywhere else, for that matter. Watching the horrible images and news from Oklahoma, is more then enough to deal with for me. Those poor people... 
Then, the next day after I posted that last story here, nature slapped us in the face. This time, all though it wasn't too bad in my town, it became much worse that same place a few miles south from here. The sky opened up - and BOOM! Here are the results...

The town Kvam, a few miles south of my place - ravaged...




Many houses were flushed away in the town Kvam - along with roads, bridges and more...
A little further south in our wally...

The following images are all from the town Kvam.







Only two years ago, the people in the town Kvam, went through almost the same as you can see in the pictures above - many had to rebuild their homes, after the flood took them back then. Many had barely been able to move in to their new houses, before it now happened again. Also, this time it was a lot worse then two years ago. It was bad back then - but this time, it was a LOT more water. Coming down from the mountains, after a sudden and long heatwave, and the sky opening up with pouring, hard rain, everything came down at once. Melted snow. Mountain waters being so flooded with water, it went over it's limits. In a matter of actual minutes, the down town area, was a strong flushing river. Friends of mine has again lost their homes. Poor people. All they could do, was getting out of the ravaging waters way, and stand there, watching their homes, cars and belongings, being smashed to pieces by the nature. It's almost unreal...

Norway's main road, Europe Road-6, flooded. Drivers still tried to get through...
A mud-slide at my neighbours place - they were very lucky. It went right by their house, and stopped just above another one (not visible).
An elementary-school close to my home, and it's playground.
Panorama-image of the school's activity area...

The road that leads to, and out from my home area - thirty minutes after I took this image, the area where I'm standing here with my car, was completely flooded.
Now, this is MY town, Otta - looking south-bound. As you can see, we were really lucky this time...

Still, as I mentioned, in my town, we were lucky! There wasn't too much damage, and not too many mud-slides. There was a few though, that took with it a garage, and split a house in half. But, that was the worst that happened. We (me and my dog), were evacuated. Because of a fear that something similar two years ago would happen again and, because the masses and an area with bolder rocks in the high, steep mountain sides above and behind our houses started to move, and become unstable, it wasn't really any point in sticking around. Luckily, I'm home again, with my little pooch, and everything is fine. Thank The Maker for that. Nature is an amazing "living" phenomenon. But when it comes slapping in your face - you really don't have much to fight it with. Then it is the Nature her self, that decides if you will come out of it OK, or if it will leave you, and your friends, in any kind of wounded way... I'm so glad we didn't get hit worse by this then we were. I'm so. SO sad, that all those others were... Our world is a fantastic place! Our Nature is just as fantastic too. But, my oh my,  how extremely dangerous she can be... May all the tornadoes, ravaging floods, bush-fires and avalanches be over for this time. Do you hear me, Moder Nature? Please? You've shown, and proved your significant powers to us, more then clearly enough now. We know you are there - and so, hopefully you will spare us all, and be on OUR side, for many years to come...


Stay Safe People!
 Til next time.

(Images in this post are done by Me, and different medias - these are: Verdens Gang (VG), Geir Olsen, and Hakon Mosvold Larsen, of NTB/ScanPix)

No comments:

Post a Comment